In this article about everything to see and do in New York in 5 days I already advanced information about some essential museums in New York. Now it’s time to dedicate a full text, so get your glasses and notebook ready, here are what are, in my opinion, the museums in New York that you have to visit yes or yes (with schedules, prices and some important features).
Museums in New York to visit «yes or yes»
The Museums of New York that you must visit could be all of them…
First of all, let me point out that you could make a visit to New York focusing solely on its museums. I say this because of its quantity, quality and extension (there are some so valuable that they would be at the top of the things to see in the United States). The museums that I am going to suggest visiting in New York in this guide should be understood in this way, as a suggestion. It will be quite impossible to visitall them along with the other parts of the city that are worth a visit, so you will have to choose.
I have approached this article as a sampler of museums, so that each one can choose what best suits their tastes. I am going to mention what each museum is about and what its main attractions are, so that the decision can be easier.
MoMA (Moderna Art Museum)
You don’t know how much I wanted to see Van Gogh’s Starry Night at MoMA…
I start with one of those New York Museums that I would ALWAYS visit. MoMA, the Moderna Art Museum, brings together works of art ranging from the Impressionist period (second half of the nineteenth century) to the mid-twentieth century. It is one of the main museums in the world and brings together such a number of iconic works that I would need another article to list them.
To highlight a few:
- The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
- The Ladies of Avignon by Pablo Picasso
- Broadway Boogie-Woogie by Piet Mondrian
- The persistence of Salvador Dalí’s memory
- The Lovers by René Magritte
- Cans of Campbell’s Soup, by Andy Warhol.
- The Dance I, by Henri Matisse
- Adults $25
- Over 65 with ID $18
- Visitors with disabilities $18
- Students with ID $14
- Under 16s: free
- Sunday to Friday, 10:30 -17:30
- Saturdays 10:30 -19:00
- On Monday mornings, from 10:30 to 13:00, the opening is exclusively for members
To buy the MoMA ticket online, see the link.
Metropolitan Museum (MET), one of the essential museums in New York
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is one of the most important museums in the world. In it you can find pieces ranging from antiquity (Egypt, Greece, Rome) to the twentieth century and from all parts of the world.
If with MoMA it was already complicated to give examples of works, with the MET it is even more complex. To highlight a few:
- The Death of Socrates by Jacques Louis David
- View of Toledo and Vision of the Apocalypse, by El Greco
- Self-Portrait, by Van Gogh
- The Sphinx of Hatshepsut
- The Temple of Dendur
- The Great Wave of Kanagawa, by Hokusai
- Wheat field with cypresses, by Van Gogh
|Over 65 years old||$17|
|Members/partners and sponsors||Free|
|Children under 12 years of age||Free|
- From Sunday to Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 to 17:00
- Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00 to 21:00
- Closed Wednesday
- It is closed on Thanksgiving Day, December 25, January 1 and the first Monday in May.
To buy an online ticket to the MET, see the link.
NOTE: If you are planning to visit several museums and monuments in New York, it may be profitable to get one of the tourist cards. The options are as follows: the New York Explorer Pass, the New York CityPASS and the New York Pass
The Guggenheim Museum is one of the jewels of New York. Inside the building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, works ranging from the Impressionist era to the present day are exhibited and it is one of the world temples of Moderna and contemporáneo art. It is possible that this type of art (contemporary art) does not attract the attention of many, but I do invite you to break prejudices and try to investigate (it is much better understood with a guided tour).
- Sunday–Wednesday, Friday 10 am–5:45 pm
- Saturday 10 am–7:45 pm
- Closed Thursday
|Over 65 years old||$18|
|Children under 12 years of age||Free|
To buy the online ticket to the Guggenheim Museum, click on the link.
Natural History Museum
Ahnighito, the largest meteorite exhibited in a museum
The Natural History Museum in New York is amazing. Just like that, just like that. Encountering Ahnighito, the largest meteorite exhibited in a museum and, shortly after, UNT-Rex skeleton are one of those things that are not easily forgotten. Whether you are a science lover or not, this is one of the museums in New York that everyone who comes to the city should visit.
- From Wednesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 17:30.
- Closed Mondays and Tuesdays
|Children under 3 to 12 years old||$13|
To buy the online ticket to the Natural History Museum, click on the link.
Museum of the American Indians (one of my favorite museums in New York)
This was one of the museums in New York that I liked the most, especially because it deals with a topic that is often quite forgotten on a visit to the United States: that of its original inhabitants. In it you can learn a lot about its culture and its art, something that I consider necessary to understand quite a few nuances of the country’s history.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 17:00
From the middle of the twentieth century, the United States became the Mecca of world art (it took the baton from Paris). The Whitney Museum is in charge of testifying to this fact, since it specializes in twentieth-century American art. In it you can find works by Edward Hopper, Alexander Calder, Warhol, Pollock, Motherwell, Frankenthaler, Rauschenberg, Louis Bourgeois, Willem de Kooning, Jasper Jons, Keith Haring, Rothko, Cindy Sherman … The list is huge.
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 10:30 to 18:00
- Friday: 10:30 to 22:00 (on Fridays from 19:00 to 22:00 the entrance is pay-what-you-wish, that is, by own choice).
- Saturdays and Sundays: 11:00 to 18:00
- Tuesday: closed
- Adults: $25
- Over 65, students, and visitors with disabilities: $18
- Under 18s: free
To buy the online ticket to the Whitn museumey click on the link.
Museum of the City of New York
The Museum of the City of New York, like that of the American Indians, is a fundamental museum to delve into the city’s past. It is a mixture of art, history and anthropology museum about New York City and its inhabitants, and you can find paintings, decorative objects and furniture, and even everyday objects, costumes or antique toys.
Opening hours: from Friday to Sunday: 10:00 to 18:00
- Adults: $20
- Over 65, students, and visitors with disabilities: $14
- Under 19s: free
To buy the tickets to the Museum of the City of New Yorkclick on the link.
9/11 Memorial Museum
One of the most impressive museums in New York is the 9/11 Memorial. In it you can see objects rescued from the attack and different documents in audiovisual format that tell the story of what happened that day.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday, from 9:00 to 20:00 hours.
- Fridays and Saturdays, from 9:00 to 21:00 hours.
- The last ticket is sold two hours before closing.
- Adults: $24.
- Over 65s: $18.
- Children between 7 and 12 years: $15.
- Young people between 13 and 17 years old: $20.
- Children under 7 years old: free.
To buy tickets to the 9/11 Memorial Museum online, see the link.
Discount on your travel insurance for USA:
I have been traveling with insurance for a long time, but for places like the United States it becomes an ESSENTIAL . Not because it is dangerous, but because of the fact that any healthcare, no matter how small , costs a penny (a twist, a gastroenteritis…).
Apart, due to the Covid-19, many countries are requesting mandatory travel insurance to access the country (USE one of them).
Therefore, I tell you that, through my blog you can have the following discount with the company Mondo 👇
Features and coverages of Mondo insurance
- Coverages: from 500,000 euros (up to 5,000,000 in Premium coverage).
- Coverage Covid, including:
- Medical expenses, health transfer and repatriation for Covid-19 disease
- PCR test on travel: expenses derived from the test if it has been prescribed by a doctor.
- Expenses derived from extension of stay due to medical quarantine.
- Discount previous PCR test
- Travel assistance app, which has:
- 24h medical chat
- Free support call through the App.
- Incident management.
Besides, Mondo has the option to add cancellation insurance which seems fundamental to me today due to the instability that exists due to Covid (in recent months I have had to cancel up to 6 trips…)
If you want to take a look at the conditions and calculate the price you can do so by clicking this link
If you liked this article with the New York museums that I recommend visiting in 5 days, you may be struck by some of these other articles (you can also take a look at the official New York tourism page):